Reply via email support

I think one of the main selling points of discourse over other solutions like Github Discussions (which we also considered) is being able to use Discourse essentially as a mailing list. There’s even a mailing list mode that users can enable.

In order to use this functionality, we’ll need to enable reply-via-email. I’ve also heard some users request this functionality so I’d propose we enable this for discourse.pulpproject.org.

3 Likes

So we need a mail host (we already have one, for sending mail, but we need to configure it for receving email). We (OSCI) have the base infra for that so at least, there is less work, but I do not know that part very well, so I asked if Duck could shed a light (and connect here)

2 Likes

So I looked at our setup, and I pushed that MR: Add a user on the IMAP server for discourse, and a alias (!444) · Merge requests · OSCI / community-cage-infra-ansible · GitLab (for now, not deployed, it will be reviewed and tested first)

Duck was more in favor of having a separate pulp mail server, so I will discuss that with him in our meeting tomorrow (as a separate server is a bit more work, but at the same time, this allow for more resilience since we hope not everything will break at once, and allow the pulp community to be more independant)

3 Likes

Quack,

Sorry I forgot to reply directly. We discussed this with Misc and I agreed with the plan to host the domain and mail entry for Pulp on OSPO/OSCi servers. Since Pulp is not going to use MLs I guess the need for a mail server is limited at the moment. I generally push growing communities to manage their own resources to be independent but the setup can changed in the future if needed.

I would suggest having a contact alias in case other channels are not working fine, and another dedicated to handle GDPR requests.

\_o<

1 Like

Also let’s use IMAPS or IMAP+TLS over POP if possible.

1 Like

I would suggest having a contact alias in case other channels are not working fine

We have a pulp-infra@redhat.com email that the Pulp team monitors. Perhaps we could advertise this as the one to email if other channels are not working.

and another dedicated to handle GDPR requests.

We could set up a similar email (maybe pulp-gdpr@redhat.com?) to handle GDPR requests.

Also let’s use IMAPS or IMAP+TLS over POP if possible.

:+1:

1 Like

Hi all,

Any update on this?

I didn’t see the discussion here, so I merged the MR:
Add a user on the IMAP server for discourse, and a alias (21b5eb76) · Commits · OSCI / community-cage-infra-ansible · GitLab

I just need to test and set it up on Discourse (also, need to change the password ).

Then I see we also need another mail for gdpr, so I guess we can add alias. So likely next week.

2 Likes

Hey @misc

Any update on this?
This is the last step before we take our mailing list offline.

Seems I totally forgot. The server is up, I pushed a new password and the DNS change, so I am now testing to see how it go.

I haven’t found how to use IMAP on discourse, so that’s POP for now. However, there is also a warning on the certificate, and I am not sure why, so I disabled for now (and also, IT DNS is not updated so I have to wait on that as well…)

DNS zones is still not deployed, I opened a ticket ( INC2060680 ) for that.

1 Like

Ok so turn out that we have a technical problem (can’t have a CNAME and a MX), so I need to think of a solution.

I think that’s either:

There is currently no email alias for the project being used, would it be something the project be interested having ?

(for example, security, GDPR, etc, or vanity aliases). On our side, that’s not a big difference, just need to remove 10 chars from a config.

We currently use redhat domain email addresses for things like security reports and code of conduct violation reports. It would be a small improvement for those to not be company specific, but I wouldn’t do a lift/extra work just for that (we haven’t done that to date) - I’ll defer to @mcorr if she’s heard any push for this.

Hey @misc

Thank you so much for all your support here, and behind the scenes in the last week with pulpproject.org updates (╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

I personally would like this.

We need to provide paths for people to submit data privacy requests. I’m currently putting together the privacy policy and trying to ensure it covers evreything, so this is perfect timing.

@duck did most of the work to get things fixed, not me, I was just 1st respondant due to timezone.

A privacy@pulp going to a specific address is doable.

1 Like

So, finally, the pop3 account is here. However, I never used the feature on discourse, so I am not sure how to test it.

I will try to create a test topic, and make sure I get mail notification, then see if I can reply.

2 Likes

So, it finally work. Not sure what are the next steps from here.

1 Like

It’s great this is set up! This was our one final hurdle.
With regards to sunsetting the ML, we can decide a date based on the upgrade timeline etc.

As an aside, is the privacy@pulpproject.org email possible? I’ve been editing a privacy statement for what seems like a lifetime.

Yup, just tell us where you want it to be sent.

1 Like