How to install Pulp on AWS EKS Cluster with S3 Storage

Awesome, surely I will give it a try.

Cool! We would like to hear about your test results.

One last question I have about exposing the UI using a Kubernetes Load Balancer instead of listening on port localhost. Do we have a way for this as well?

Yes. Since this is an EKS cluster I can think of 3 ways to do this:

1. .spec.ingress_type: loadbalancer
    the operator will create a k8s Service of type LoadBalancer (the k8s integration with the cloud provider will create the lb for you)

2. .spec.ingress_type: ingress
    the operator will deploy a k8s Ingress resource with the defined IngressController (more info in Reverse Proxy - Pulp Operator).

3. .spec.ingress_type: nodeport
    the operator will create a k8s Service type NodePort and you will need to manually create the AWS LoadBalancer to point to the k8s <nodes>:<node-port>

3 Likes

Definitely. I will keep you posted.

While I was going through my artifacts on S3, I got a question about protocol used to upload/download artifacts on S3 bucket. Does it use S3FS in backend. I am asking this because S3FS is slower than actual S3 api calls. S3fs does a mounting and uses for upload/download files. Can you please clarify on this as well.

Pulp is using the s3 apis via django-storages backend.
And if not otherwise configured, will redirect client access to the artifacts to s3 directly using presigned redirect urls.
Does this answer your question?

2 Likes

Yep, thank you so much.

To install Pulp on an AWS EKS cluster with S3 storage, you’ll need to follow these general steps:

Set up AWS EKS Cluster:
    Create an EKS cluster using the AWS Management Console or AWS CLI.
    Ensure your IAM roles and policies grant necessary permissions for EKS, S3, and other AWS services you'll be using.

Prepare S3 Bucket:
    Create an S3 bucket to store your Pulp content.
    Set appropriate permissions and access controls for the bucket.

Deploy Pulp on EKS:
    Create Kubernetes manifests or Helm charts for deploying Pulp on your EKS cluster.
    Configure Pulp to use S3 storage by providing the S3 bucket details in the configuration.

Configure Networking:
    Set up network policies and ensure proper communication between your EKS cluster and the S3 bucket.

Test and Verify:
    Deploy Pulp resources to your EKS cluster.
    Verify that Pulp is running correctly and can access the S3 storage.

Monitor and Maintain:
    Implement monitoring and logging for your Pulp deployment.
    Regularly update and maintain your EKS cluster and Pulp installation.

Backup and Disaster Recovery:
    Implement backup strategies for your Pulp content stored in S3.
    Plan for disaster recovery scenarios and ensure data integrity.

Remember to refer to the official documentation of Pulp, AWS EKS, and S3 for detailed instructions specific to your setup and requirements.

2 Likes