PulpCon 2021 Call for Proposals

PulpCon Dates: November 8-13, 2021
CFP ends/voting begins: October 8, 2021

This is a wiki post and should be editable by logged in users. To propose a session for PulpCon 2021, please add it to the list below by editing this post.

If you would like to lead the session, please add your name. Optionally, add an estimated timeframe (30/60/90 min) for the session. Each talk should leave at least 10 min at the end (5 for Q&A and 5 for a break).

If you have any questions/comments feel free to add those as nested bullet points too.

Note that we plan to leave some timeslots open for topics that come up during the week of PulpCon.

Topics

• Pulp on k8s/OCP (fao89) - 30/60 min
  • Sync pipeline - overview, learnings & challenges (bmbouter)
  • Tasking system - overview, learnings & challenges (x9c4)
  • Pulp High availability - Current state & challenges (bmbouter)
  • Pulp 2 x Pulp 3 Performance
  • Installer: Demonstration of, and ideas, to improve the user experience?
    • dependency checker (separate tool, plugin is a PoC)
    • Alternative ways of explaining variables
    • past prototype to make the installer a pip/rpm package using Foreman tooling (solves “installing the installer”)
  • Let’s Encrypt support (with cloud instance demonstration)
  • Cluster support (demonstration, explanation of 3rd party resources)
  • Panel discussion (we are the panel) of users come talking to us about their experiences with the installer
  • Multi-tenancy, a step to Pulp as a Service (bmbouter or anyone else)
  • Command Line Interface - overview, learnings & challenges (x9c4)
  • State of the community
    • (IRC vs. Matrix; Discourse, …)
    • Year in review (summary of features, where we are now vs. 1 year ago)
  • Is my content safe? Pulp security overview, learnings & challenges
  • What pytest can do for Pulp (bmbouter and x9c4)
  • Community interactions – Maintaining a plugin from outside the core Pulp team (working title, quba42)
  • What can type annotations do for us? (x9c4)
  • Monitoring Pulp with Prometheus + Grafana (dalley)
6 Likes

I think, we are doing a bad job with “+1” for late nominations here. What do you think about setting a timeline for nominating topics, and after closing that we make a poll for most wanted topics. Should we exclude topics with not at least one voluntary host?

2 Likes

I think, we are doing a bad job with “+1” for late nominations here. What do you think about setting a timeline for nominating topics, and after closing that we make a poll for most wanted topics.

Agreed. How about if I move the CFP deadline up a couple weeks to October 8 and then call for votes with a deadline for voting of Oct 22?

Should we keep the existing votes?

Should we exclude topics with not at least one voluntary host?

I wanted to allow people to suggest topics that they might not be familiar with but not having a host will be a problem. What if we say that any topic that doesn’t have a host by October 22, we’ll exclude?

I’m also planning to nag people that I think would make good hosts for particular topics too. :grin:

1 Like

If we want to avoid double votes, creating a poll in discourse is quite good.
I already forgot which +1 came from me.

1 Like

Cool, that sounds good. I will update on Monday if no one objects.

1 Like

we (installer team) added some topics to see which ones get more votes, and we would pick a host after, for the most voted ones

2 Likes

If there is interest, I could see myself doing a “Community Interactions” focused talk/session, that reflects on community interactions I have had from the vantage point of maintaining a Pulp plugin from outside the core Pulp team.

So far I see mostly technical topics, so this might be a bit of a counterweight (also I don’t have any particularly interesting technical topics on hand).

The closest thing I already see in the Topics list is “State of the community (IRC vs. Matrix; Discourse, …)”.

2 Likes

Please sign yourself up for that @quba42 !

I am organising one community related session with a Pulp user that I hope will be insightful also.

1 Like

Where do I sign up?

Please add yourself to the list of topics above. It’s a wiki!

@quba42 I also meant to say that I really like your idea for the session!

I made an edit to the State of community since I think there are some topics we could cover that would go beyond just some of the community logistics/tooling changes, etc.

2 Likes